Friday, October 23, 2009

day 34:

One family is smilng because they are going home today after being here 6 weeks, another family is sitting in the lounge holding hands and looking somber, the baby next to us we just overheard is sick....it's only 9:30 in the morning. I've never felt so helpless as I do when I sit here surrounded by these little miniature people. Most of them, like Henry, can't even cry because they have tubes going down there noses or mouth. The only sound you hear is monitors beeping and the alarms when someone decides to hold their breath.

Rounds haven't started so we don't know if Henry is still going to be extubated, very anxious...we'll see.

2 comments:

Donna said...

((hugs)) - because I don't know what else to say.

Michele said...

This is so hard. I remember coming into the parents room over the moon b/c the babies were doing so well and were prepping to move to the trans nursery. And there was a couple talking to a neonatologist about the open heart surgery their hours old baby had to have to save his life. It just broke my heart.