Sunday, November 29, 2009

Day 71: 10 Weeks....a whole summer vacation

I can not fathom that it has been 10 weeks since Henry entered this world. Nor can I fathom that we have visiting a hospital daily for 10 weeks to see our son. You'd think it gets easier but it defintely does not. If I was still pregnant I would be huge and uncomfortable but atleast I would know the end is in sight. I don't know when this ends. When he finally does come home a whole new chapter begins. I'm so excited for that but the thought is also very overwhelming.

The dr told me on Thanksgiving that Henry is most likely coming home on oxygen. He said he has only done this 4 times in 16 years but our son really needs it. He is doing great with his feedings (with a major exception today) and he is gaining weight so the only thing holding him back is crappy lungs.

We had a little setback yesterday. He was having difficulty maintaining his oxygen levels on the nasal cannual (nose prongs) so they decided to put him back on CPAP. The dr had told me yesterday afternoon that this was a possiblity and by last night it was reality. Driving in today I was not looking forward to seeing him back on his scuba gear. It's a reminder that he has problems. When he just had the little prongs, we could see his face and it was so much nicer. When i got to the NICU today I even hestitated before i went to his crib...ugh. One of the nurses told me she wanted to cry when she came in and saw him..join the club. She said her and 3 other nurses had a long stern talk with Henry this morning..i thought that was cute.

We took him off CPAP for his noon feeding and he was doing pretty well with me holding the o2 near his face. He CHUGGED 3/4th of the bottle in 5 minutes and then choked and then stopped breathing in my arms and turned blue. The nurse came right over suctioned his mouth and he was back to pink cheeks very quickly. so much fun.
We gave him a break and then i gave him back the bottle to finsh, which he did..and then he spit it back up, a little even got in my eye. Good times.

So then i held him skin to skin for about 45 minutes with just the oxygen but his o2 saturation level hovered around 80 instead of high 90's and then he went down in the 70's the alarms started beeping and we decided to put him back in his crib on CPAP.

I left pretty soon after because i felt the damn rising..........

Two steps forward, one step back.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm glad to see that things are still going well for you. With Bella, I'm sure if you think back far enough, you'll remember that ALL babies do that whole two steps forward and one step back. So, hooray to Henry for acting just like a baby!

Michele said...

The NICU journey sucks. Things look great and then... you are knocked on your ass. I am so sorry about Henry going back on CPAP. I've been there and it is such a heartbreaking moment.

As to coming home on O2, our cousin's 24 weeker did and after 3 months, it was removed and he is doing GREAT! I know it isnt what you wanted but I just know Henry will be fine. I just know it!